Thursday, January 10, 2013

Sew Along Challenge, Week 1

Week 1 of the Project Run & Play challenge is here! If you are following me on Facebook, you know that I have decided to join in the 6 week Sew Along challenge. (You can read all about the challenge here!) This weeks challenge was to "remix" or remake a garment using this Party Dress pattern from the Cottage Home.
So I have to say that I absolutely adore this style of dress. Big ol' sashes and bows on little girls are my weakness. How much cuter does it get? But when the word "remix" came into play, I decided to step outside of my oh so comfortable and cozy box. I don't do this very often. But I figured that since this was a challenge, I would challenge myself! 
I was walking through a kids clothing store the other day, and found the most adorable little bright pink trench coat. But the price was not so adorable nor little. So I passed. But when I started thinking about how I could remix the party dress, the adorable little bright pink trench coat came back to my mind. It was a eureka moment, if I ever have anything remotely close to those.
And so this little "trench-inspired" coat was born from a little remixing of the Party Dress pattern.
I was a little nervous to start this project. For the following reasons: 1, I am a pretty good pattern follower, but NOT a very good pattern maker, and in order to do a coat I would have to add sleeves myself. Eeek! and 2, if my attempts at reason #1 went astray, I would waste this darling Sarah Jane Anchor fabric. Double eek! 
But as you can see, it kind of worked out. 
 The outer fabric is from Sarah Jane's Out to Sea line, which I bought a few months ago and have been hanging onto because I just adore it and couldn't decide what to make out of it! I was happy to finally pull these little anchors off the shelf and bring them to life. Since it's still chilly here in PA, I lined the coat with navy blue fleece.
Other than the anchors, the colors (which were my wedding colors!), I think the little bow I added to the back may be my favorite part. 
I basically constructed the coat the same as the original dress pattern, but I made it backwards, so the opening was in the front. I used top stitching along the way because I think it made the coat look more professional. And of course I added sleeves. Which wasn't as tricky as I originally thought. 
I also added a few details to make it look more like a coat and less like a dress, like the fleece mock collar and these little cuff loops. I think I might have just made that term up. Anyone know what to call these? White buttons add details to the cuffs as well as keep the coat closed.
I think she likes it! I think I do too! Thanks for sharing this project with me!  

Looking forward to next week...Stripes and Polka dots. Two of my favorite prints! 
I already have my dress for next week made...but you'll have to wait til next week to see :)



29 comments:

Kristina said...

This is ADORABLE Dani!! So well done and I love the bow - it really makes the coat (that and the roll sleeves with the button). And, can we take two minutes to talk about how grown up Gracie is looking? I can't even wrap my head around it! Love it all - great job!

Shannon said...

Oh, this is absolutely beautiful! Great color, detail and fit.

Amber said...

Love this! I was going to do a jacket as well with this pattern; glad you did it. So very well done and the colors are to die for!!
Great job!

jacq said...

gorgeous!
love this look.

sallyavena said...

So cute! I love the look and the details. You did a great job making it your own!

Mariah said...

Adorable Danielle! Gracie's always such a great little model.

Without Directions said...

I really like that you made a coat!

Without Directions said...

I really like that you made a coat!

Annie said...

Wow this is a lovely coat! Great details!

Dianna said...

This is so very cute! I want to make one too!

Margo said...

how clever! This definitely opens up coat possibilities for my girl! I LOVE that pink fabric - love nautical anything.

I once made a beach shirt for my son by just making it tie in the front instead of button. It was scary going off-pattern, but it worked out beautifully (blogged here: http://thriftathome.blogspot.com/2010/06/bens-beach-shirt.html)

Courtney @ Sweeter Than Cupcakes said...

Well do!! I love the bow and the sleeve cuffs. Sure looks cozy.

nest full of eggs said...

love the color combo and that you still kept the bow in the back :)

Unknown said...

Yes, yes, yes! I love this! Love the fabric, love that you used the pattern in an entirely different way. Amazing. Great job!!

D and G Stories said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments! I am not sure how to respond to individual comments on here, but I do appreciate them all! Makes sewing that much more fun! :)

Suzanne Winter said...

That coat is just too cute, and the bow in the back - love it. I actually had thoughts about doing a boys trench... after baby girls outfit was already 90% done ;op I love seeing this pattern remixed as a a coat!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the sew-along win!!! What an adorable coat!

Heidi said...

Beautifully made! Creative design! Congrats on the win.

Ajaire said...

I love the Out to Sea line! This turned out so darling. Congratulations on the sew along win. Well deserved!

Jacquie said...

Congratulations on your win over at Run & Play! That's how I found you. Love this Trench Coat!

Olga Becker @ Coffee+Thread said...

Congratulations on your win. The coat is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your win Danielle! This coat is absolutely adorable. So is the little package inside:)

Suzanne Winter said...

I am so happy for your win!!! You did an amazing job, can't wait to see what you will do with the stripes and dots ;o)

Karen said...

The little coat is adorable but your baby 'takes the cake'! She is just darling! Congratulations on winning the sew-along challenge!

Rachel said...

Well deserved win, really creative project! I like your fabrics choices too.

Michaela @ coveredinmodpodge.blogspot.com said...

This is so stinking cute! As is the little miss modeling it. I'm in love with this whole line of fabric. I've been hoarding some too. This might be the kick I need to cut into it!

RaeAnna Goss said...

Congratulations on your win!!! I love the Out to Sea fabrics and I keep putting off cutting them! I think I have 6-7 yards! lol! Looking forward to reading your polka dot and stripe look!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It really is beautiful!
Kisses from Argentina.
Carina

D and G Stories said...

Thanks again everyone! I wish I knew how to respond to you all individually! For those of you who also drool over Sarah Jane's out to sea line...I'd love to see what else you do with it. I am IN LOVE with the entire collection of fabric!! Looking forward to the rest of the Sew Along challenge!