Monday, January 14, 2013

Stripes & Polka dots {Project Run&Play Sew Along}

Let me start off this post by saying how humbled and honored I was to learn this morning that I had won Project Run & Play's sew along challenge last week! {You can see the Anchor trench coat here.} I had so much fun creating, sewing, and blogging again. It was just the jump start I needed to dust off this little blog! So thank you so much for all the kind words from everyone! There were so many great entries, so please make sure you pop over to the link party and check them all out. So much inspiration!!

This weeks challenge was to create a garment using stripes & polka dots. Oohhh, now they were speaking my language. I just adore stripes and polka dots. And a little girl in stripes and polka dots? I couldn't even contain myself.
I have to confess that I actually started creating this dress for the first weeks challenge, the pattern remix challenge, using  the Party Dress pattern from the Cottage Home. But after I paired the stripes with the dots, I decided it was actually perfect for this week's challenge instead.
I made the dress out of a jersey knit with wide navy and white stripes. It has the perfect amount of stretch for this little busy body to run and play in. 
I made the dress the same as the pattern, except because I used jersey knit, I only used one button in the back, as the bodice can stretch while dressing. I just love a big ol' fabric covered button, don't you? {I also think I need a lesson in how to tie sashes on a toddler who refuses to sit still for longer than .3 seconds!}
The red and white polka dot sash and bow on the neckline and fabric covered button in the back are such a fun contrast to the big stripes! It's like the fourth of July in January! And since this IS January, and it IS still winter here in PA, and despite my desperate attempts at keeping my little girl little, she might not fit into this dress this summer {sniff, sniff...} So I decided we should probably find a cardigan to go with it, so she could get some use out of it now.
I found this red long sleeved shirt in our hand-me-down box, and thought it would be a perfect knit cardigan. So I simply cut it down the middle, hemmed the edges, and voila! It literally took me less than 5 minutes! 
A great use of those extra hand-me-downs or thrift store finds. {I might even look for a few shirts in my own closet to do this to!}
I also made the headband to match. I happened to have the red polka dot elastic in my drawer. I bought it months ago at Hobby Lobby on clearance. It is baby elastic and super soft, which is the only way my girl will tolerate a headband, so it really was perfect for this project! It was almost easier than the cardigan. I just sewed it together and made a quick bow out of ribbon.
So that's that! Thanks for stopping by and sharing Gracie's new outfit with us!
I had so much fun putting together this sweet little outfit for this sweet little lady! 
Next up...BOY week!

Don't forget to pop over to this weeks PR&P link party to see all the other awesome striped and polka dotted entries!



20 comments:

Olga Becker @ Coffee+Thread said...

What a cutie! The outfit is absolutely adorable. http://olga-kidapproved.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I love it! The last picture of Gracie is adorable! :)

Mom said...

Too much cuteness in one entry! Love the bows and fabric covered button. Great idea for the cardigan too.

Shannon said...

Perfect color choice. Love it!

Kate said...

Congrats Dani! Grace is too stinking cute & so is your work! I am excited for BOY week as all I have are nephews... Wondering what company you got your labels from? I have been looking at getting some for my stuffed animals. Thanks!! Kate

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

I love the bold happy look of this!

amelieandatticus said...

Great use of spots and stripes...the colours work so well together!! Love it!

Michelle said...

Precious! It looks pretty AND comfortable -- a perfect combination for an active, beautiful little girl!

Magda said...

loved loved loved

Florencia said...

Ohhhhhhhh! What a cutie! I love this outfit!

Meghan said...

So adorable! And I love the idea of cutting up a long sleeve tee to make a cardigan...definitely going to try that! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Unknown said...

Cute, cute, cute! Congrats on your win last week!

Unknown said...

Fantastic color combination!! Another stellar sew-along entry...

Charity said...

Sweet outfit! I love your nautical colors.

Tin Marsh said...

What a pretty dress (and pretty girl too!) I love the small polka-dots on the sash!

Simple Simon and Company said...

Adorable! Ilove red, navy, and white together. So sweet.

Erin Walsh said...

Love this dress! So adorable! So glad that I found you through Simply b photos! :)

Shannau said...

You have amazing talent!! LOVE this dress :) SOOOO glad Amy B sent me!

Michaela @ coveredinmodpodge.blogspot.com said...

I cannot get over how cute this outfit is! The jersey is to die for. And your little miss' has the most amazing chubby cheeks. Mine is starting to loose hers...its sad. I can't wait to see what else you create for PR&P's sew along!

Shaffer Sisters said...

We featured you on our blog. Thanks for sewing along! http://shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/02/prp-sew-along-winter-2013.html
With Love,
Jo